tomorrow is monday, it will be my 6th shift for the week and my 3rd last day to complete my J Odyssey application.
i've been working like mad to get this thing as perfect as possible. it's been really interesting just to research and i've had to change my statement saying where i want to go and why a couple of times now.
originally i wanted to go from Finland to Ugande as they have the most and least nurses, respectively. but i changed my mind as i started to research and now it's not just a quest to look at hospitals, but i want to have a look at the social, political and religious differences between places.
where i want to go, their amount of nurses per 100,000 people, and why i want to go there:
- Norway (2065): to visit my Norwegian housemates and the hospital where one of them works, to eat some elk stew, to travel north by train to the Lofoten Islands, to (maybe) see the Northern Lights, to look lustily at tall Norwegian boys in suits
- Cuba (744*): see Communism in action, to drink lots of Bicardi, to check out Santeria (kinda like voodoo!), to (maybe) check out Guantanamo Bay
- South Africa (388): to visit my friend Drew, to check out his missionary work, to examine the effects of aparthied
- Sierra Leone (33): to work with Medecins sans Frontieres and/or Mercy Ships, to look at the gem trade
- Libera (6): to look at the Mercy Ships 'floating hospital' that will be docked there, to look at a place rebuilding after civil war
after working here in a remote area of Australia i've seen things that i would've thought couldn't exist in a country like this, one that is supposedly 1st world. so how do we really compare against a country rated 'the safest in the world' like Norway, to a country struggling to rebuild with non-existant services like Liberia?
*around the same amount as Australia
|comments: Leave a comment|